Date:      Mon, 14 Mar 2022 08:10:01 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        Archimedes Gaviola <archimedes.gaviola@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Raspberry Pi 3B Slow Boot-up

Hello.

On 2022-Mar-14, at 07:12, Archimedes Gaviola =
<archimedes.gaviola@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 9:50 PM Archimedes Gaviola =
<archimedes.gaviola@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 8:01 PM Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com> =
wrote:
> On 2022-Mar-14, at 02:55, Archimedes Gaviola =
<archimedes.gaviola@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> > In the default config.txt file there is [pi4] line. If I'm going to =
remove this [pi4] line, the boot-up process is very slow. Slow in a =
sense that some extended time is observed as compared to the default. I =
already tested emphasizing the boot_delay=3D1 but to no avail. The =
reason why I removed it is because I want to change the settings of the =
HDMI display resolution as changes will not take effect with the [pi4] =
line in RPi 3B.
> >=20
> > With 14.0-CURRENT (February 24, 2022 snapshot) I have described my =
resolution here =
https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-arm/2022-February/001070.html =
however with the latest 14.0-CURRENT (March 10, 2022 snapshot) it's no =
longer possible. Any idea what's going on?
> >=20
> > Below is the default config.txt and my current config.txt for =
reference.
> >=20
> > freebsd@generic:~ % cat /boot/msdos/config.txt
> > [all]
> > arm_64bit=3D1
> > dtparam=3Daudio=3Don,i2c_arm=3Don,spi=3Don
> > dtoverlay=3Dmmc
> > dtoverlay=3Ddisable-bt
> > device_tree_address=3D0x4000
> > kernel=3Du-boot.bin
> >=20
> > [pi4]
> > hdmi_safe=3D1
> > armstub=3Darmstub8-gic.bin
> >=20
> > freebsd@generic:~ % cat /boot/msdos/config.txt
> > [all]
> > arm_64bit=3D1
> > dtparam=3Daudio=3Don,i2c_arm=3Don,spi=3Don
> > dtoverlay=3Dmmc
> > dtoverlay=3Ddisable-bt
> > device_tree_address=3D0x4000
> > kernel=3Du-boot.bin
> >=20
> > hdmi_group=3D2
> > hdmi_mode=3D11
> > armstub=3Darmstub8-gic.bin
>=20
> armstub8-gic.bin is specific to the BCM2711 and will not
> work for the RPi3, as I understand.
>=20
> armstub=3Darmstub8.bin is the default and is what was being
> used for the RPi3 when the [pi4] was in place.
>=20
> You have the option of listing a [pi3] section last
> (after the [pi4] section). To have a [pi3] section
> be last, it should have an explicit
> armstub=3Darmstub8.bin line.
>=20
> Listing older RPi* models last is done because some older
> RPi models ignore the [] notation and listing things last
> overrides earlier assignments, in this case overriding
> assignments for newer models. It is a safe notational
> ordering convention, even for models that do support
> the [] notation sufficiently.
>=20
> If one depended on RPi3 models processing [] notation,
> if it does, then another option would have been to move
> the [rpi4] line to be just before the
> armstub=3Darmstub8-gic.bin line, causing the RPi3 to skip
> the assignment and use the default.
>=20
>=20
> Hi Mark,
>=20
> Awesome, it works great! Below is my revised config.txt file now, no =
more boot-up delay and display resolution was effectively changed. Thank =
you so much for sharing your thoughts in well-explained details, now I =
learned.
>=20
> freebsd@generic:~ % cat /boot/msdos/config.txt
> [all]
> boot_delay=3D0
> arm_64bit=3D1
> dtparam=3Daudio=3Don,i2c_arm=3Don,spi=3Don
> dtoverlay=3Dmmc
> dtoverlay=3Ddisable-bt
> device_tree_address=3D0x4000
> kernel=3Du-boot.bin
>=20
> [pi4]
> armstub=3Darmstub8-gic.bin
>=20
> [pi3]
> hdmi_group=3D2
> hdmi_mode=3D11
>=20
> Hi Mark,
>=20
> I did further testing and these two configuration settings (removing =
[pi4] and armstub=3Darmstub8-gic.bin lines) below will do too.
>=20
> freebsd@generic:~ % cat /boot/msdos/config.txt
> [all]
> boot_delay=3D0
> arm_64bit=3D1
> dtparam=3Daudio=3Don,i2c_arm=3Don,spi=3Don
> dtoverlay=3Dmmc
> dtoverlay=3Ddisable-bt
> device_tree_address=3D0x4000
> kernel=3Du-boot.bin
>=20
> [pi3]
> hdmi_group=3D2
> hdmi_mode=3D11
>=20
> or
>=20
> freebsd@generic:~ % cat /boot/msdos/config.txt
> [all]
> boot_delay=3D0
> arm_64bit=3D1
> dtparam=3Daudio=3Don,i2c_arm=3Don,spi=3Don
> dtoverlay=3Dmmc
> dtoverlay=3Ddisable-bt
> device_tree_address=3D0x4000
> kernel=3Du-boot.bin
>=20
> hdmi_group=3D2
> hdmi_mode=3D11
>=20

The BCM2711 has both the older style hardware and the
new-to-RPi*'s gic. These two alternatives that do not
mention armstub8-gic.bin are having the BCM2711 use
the older, less capable type of hardware instead of
using the newer, more capable gic. (Or, at least,
that is what is explicitly initialized.)

You are better off with the solution that has the
[pi4] and armstub=3Darmstub8-gic.bin lines so that
the gic is explicitly initialized.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com