Date:      Tue, 28 Feb 2006 09:38:38 -0300
From:      JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Holger Kipp <hk@alogis.com>
Subject:   Re: shutdown/halt/reboot-issues... FreeBSD 6.x including PRERELEASE

On Tuesday 28 February 2006 09:00, Holger Kipp wrote:
> Hello,
>
> shutdown, halt and reboot give me some trouble with
> 6.x-versions of FreeBSD, the shutdown-process stops
> after printing
>
> "All buffers synced"

I had similar problems and I guess they are hardware/acpi related

In a certain case I changed the 2x agp video card into a 8x (the bios allow=
ed=20
auto, 4x and 8x) and the machine could reboot then

In another case I enabled or disabled  the "acpi 2.0 enable" option in the=
=20
bios

Another case I changed the apic (!acpi) setting in the bios

And appearently the Celeron 2.13Ghz S478 has this problem on Asus MBs,=20
changing it resolves the reboot issue too.

On my notebook I got this when hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest was not C1

in all this cases disabling acpi at boot time made no difference

Jo=E3o