Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 1995 13:26:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@cs.weber.edu>
Cc:        jiho@sierra.net, freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: gnumalloc

On Thu, 17 Aug 1995, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > But your rebuttal just provides another example of the point.  In the
> > single-user desktop PC world, if things get THAT fouled up you just
> > re-install the whole system from scratch, with important files presumably
> > backed up securely.  Your argument would be considered somewhere
> > pretty far out on the fringe, frankly.  But even accepting it, why would
> > anyone consider putting /usr on a separately-mounted partition on any
> > machine except a server?  What purpose is served [ ;) ] for a single-user
> > desktop machine?
>
> I, for one, thing that everything should be linked shared, period, and
> if you have aproblem with /usr/lib, you either duplicate the shared
> library and put it in /slib, under the mount point for /usr, or you
> make a /slib.

If I got this next point wrong, I'm surprised, but I thought Jim was
making a case for not having such areaa of non-shared tools, like /slib.
Nor an /sbin.  Didn't he say he'd link init shared?  I agree on maximal
sharing, but I _do_ leave myself an emergency recovery method.  Jim was
saying that if he needed an emergency recovery, he'd dump the whole
installation and rebuild.  I think that's overkill.

> SunOS, Solaris, UnixWare, and AIX all have less in the way of static
> binaries than FreeBSD does, in any case.
>
> I think the reinstall aregument is salient; that's what /stand and the
> bootfs file system is for inSVR4, and it's what a miniroot install is
> for SunOS and Solaris.
>
> > It still amazes me that, although most UNI* machines are single-user
> > workstations, it doesn't occur to people to reconsider the notion that
> > workstations should carry all the baggage that only multi-user servers
> > actually require.  This one-size-fits-all approach has limited the
> > appeal of UNI*.  (The hardware margins of workstation vendors,
> > however, have attracted a fair amount of envy in the PC clone market,
> > where everyone is counting on Windows 95 to prop things up.)
>
> I don't think people are advocating that, though there is sufficient
> "cruft" in the minimal distribution that could be pared out (ala the
> SCO system component installation paradigm) that it makes me wonder
> sometimes.
>
> > And since this all started with the memory usage of X and its clients:
> > How many sites do you know of, where the network transparency of X is
> > actually utilized as originally designed?  What happened to the X terminal
> > market?
>
> NCD is still the leader, with HP not far behind. 8-).
>
> > I thought the newsgroups had been abandoned to arguments like
> > this....
>
> 8-(.
>

> 					Terry Lambert
> 					terry@cs.weber.edu
> ---
> or previous employers.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 (Freebsd 2.0.5-snap-0726) and
(301) 220-2114              | n3lxx (FreeBSD 2.0.5-snap-0622) -- Great!