Date:      Mon, 28 Mar 2016 17:10:58 +0200
From:      =?UTF-8?Q?Jos=C3=A9_P=C3=A9rez?= <fbl@aoek.com>
To:        Nikolai Lifanov <lifanov@mail.lifanov.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org, owner-freebsd-arm@freebsd.org, freebsd-arm-request@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Official images without noatime

Hello Nikolai,

El 2016-03-26 13:32, Nikolai Lifanov escribió:
> Since we also default to SU-no-J, power failure can be quite bad
> during, say, installworld.

Why? I see no relationship between noatime and higer or lower chances to
loose files while writing them.

> With / noatime, I had my RPI2 lose files like /usr/bin/cmp, /bin/ls,
> and /bin/cat during a power loss.

Bad luck. But, again, what is the relation with having or not noatime?

> Since it's not even possible to cleanly shut down this platform, I'm
> for enabling noatime for / on
> at least for RPI and RPI2 platforms.

My RPI2 shutdown cleanly with shutdown(8) or reboot(8).

Based on my experience, the less operations you do with a flash
memory, the longer it lives. Don't forget that flash is a technology
meant to store large files (images or video) for a few times over the
lifespan of a card. Throwing a live filesystem at it is, to say the
least,
daring.

Enabling journaling on flash storage shall be prohibited by law.

Let's read again together mount(8)
              noatime
                      Do not update the file access time when reading
from a
                      file. [blablabla]

So, when you mount / with noatime, you are:
- speeding up your system
- extending the life of your flash card.

Same chances to loose files.

Regards,

---
José Pérez