Date:      Tue, 2 May 2000 16:37:58 -0500
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports projects

On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 05:12:53AM -0700, Satoshi Asami wrote:
>  @  PREFIX-cleanness (status: (slowly) in progress)
>     There are PREFIX-clean fixes committed every day, but I'd like to
>     make a master list to help people identify which ports are
>     culprits.

Ok.  #1 is GNOME.  #2 is KDE.  But let me expand.

(1) GNOME expects everything to be rooted in one place, be it
    /usr, /usr/local, /usr/X11R6, /opt/gnome, /dev/null..

    There are an increasing number of ports that have GNOME
    support, sometimes optionally.  Whilst each individual
    GNOME component is PREFIX-safe, they all have to be
    installed in the same place to work correctly
    (desktop integration, CORBA mechanics, etc..)

(2) KDE seems to be a little worse although the last time I built
    anything KDE-related was a month or so ago, so usual disclaimers
    apply.

    KDE applications, by and large, seem to come with a configure
    script that blindly assumes that "KDE headers and libraries"
    are located in the same place (via --prefix=${PREFIX}) as
    where the port is going to end up.

    Thus, I can't do an 'env PREFIX=/port/build make' on a KDE
    application unless the configure script is patched to look
    in the 'right' place (which may not be ${PREFIX}) for the
    headers and libraries.

@ Another (related) issue is where these two megaliths install
themselves, especially when the location of the base has so
many ramifications for other ports.

Should it be /usr/local or /usr/X11R6?

Are these two prefixes enough any more?

If we root GNOME applications under /usr/X11R6/gnome/*
(using the extremely iffy precedent of Lesstif), how do we
handle cases where a port may or may not depend on GNOME
(and possibly require a different prefix).

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Austin, TX.