Date:      Thu, 20 Aug 2020 17:40:25 -0700
From:      Chris <bsd-lists@BSDforge.com>
To:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   net.pf.request_maxcount: UNDESIRABLE_OID

We've been developing an appliance/server based on FreeBSD &&
pf(4)=2E We started some time ago, and have been using a very
early version of 12=2E We're now collecting some 20,000,000
IP's /mos=2E So we're satisfied we're close to releasing=2E As
such, we needed to bring the release up to a supported
(freebsd) version (12-STABLE)=2E We would have done so sooner=2E
But we need a stable (unchanging) testbed to evaluate what
we're working on=2E
We built and deployed a copy of 12-STABLE @r363918 that
contained our work with pf(4)=2E Booting into it failed
unexpectedly with: cannot define table nets: too many
elements=2E Consider increasing net=2Epf=2Erequest_maxcount=2E
pfctl: Syntax error in config file: pf rules not loaded
OK this didn't happen on our testbed prior to the upgrade
with a combined count of ~97,000,900 IPs=2E In fact the OID
mentioned didn't exist=2E
For reference; our testbed provides DNS, www, mail for
~60 domains/hosts, as well as our pf(4) testing=2E We can
happily load our tables, and run these services w/8Gb
RAM=2E
This OID is more a problem than a savior=2E Why not simply
return ENOMEM? Isn't that what it used to do? pf=2Econf(5)
already facilitates thresholds, and they aren't _read
only_=2E Is there any way to turn this OID off; like using
a -1 value? Or will we need to simply back out the commit?

Thanks in advance for any advice=2E

--Chris