Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 1995 22:39:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        steve2@genesis.tiac.net (Steve Gerakines)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: configuring 2 Ultrastore U24F cards in 1 system

> > It will always return the lowest slot numbered 24F it finds, try this
> > patch it should fix it.
>
> Oh well you're too quick Rod.  :-)  I still think the correct way to
> fix the EISA stuff is to have a single i386/eisa probe.  If no one
> else does it I was planning on tackling it once I get 2.0 up.  Are
> LKM's working (or planned) under 2.0 yet?

I was waiting on some other compiling to finish when I read the message
and had a very good idea as to what was going wrong so I figured what
the heck, I through the person a patch so it could be fixed.

Julian Elischer (julian@freebsd.org) has EISA probe code he has
been working on, and this is they way to go.

LKM's are working in 2.0, they have been used mostly for file systems
and some of the networking code.  There currently are no LKM device
drivers and more work must be done to the device driver layer before
it is reasonable to start doing LKM device drivers.