Date:      Sat, 9 Sep 1995 14:31:35 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: higher density diskettes

As John-Mark Gurney wrote:

> > I don't know why you need to interleave a 3.5in floppy when formatting
> > it to 15 sectors/track, simply put less sectors on it and increase the
> > inter-sector gap (GAP3).

> well... I haven't ever used freebsd's fdformat program... [...]

Ok, but why do you want to interleave a floppy with _less_ sectors per
track on it?  (I know that you have to interleave it if you put _more_
sectors on it, ie. you're effectively abusing every other sector as
GAP3 for the previous one.)

Sorry if i've been annoying you with my previous mail, but i'd like to
prevent people from faithfully believe into these heavily stressed
formats; i personally consider them dangerous, and i'm not alone here.
I'd also like to avoid the impression that it were some substantially
new idea.

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/