Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2000 15:00:23 -0600
From:      "Jerason Banes" <jbanes@accelgen.com>
To:        "'freebsd-doc@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-doc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Update to FAQ: section 4 - Q:CDE

Hello! My name is Jerason Banes, a system administrator for Accelerated
Genetics out in Baraboo, WI. I am writing in regards to section 4 of the
FAQ (Commercial Applications). I've noticed that this was updated recently
to reflect the fact that Xi-Graphics no longer sells CDE for FreeBSD. The
alternative you list is KDE. Although KDE does have some of CDE's
qualities, it really is much more Windows 98ish than CDEish.

I would like to point out a window manager that I found in the
ports/packages collection. It is called XFCE. The author wrote it because
he was tired of how bloated all the window managers were getting. Oddly
enough, he choose to implement CDE's style. As a result, XFCE is very close
to what CDE is, and makes a fine replacement for it.

You can find XFCE listed at the bottom of the page at:

http://www.freebsd.org/ports/x11-wm.html

The homepage for the project is:

http://www.xfce.org

I must say, I've used it for about a month now, and found it to not only be
true to CDE's design, but also very lightweight, helpful, and useful. I
might even go as far as to suggest it as the default WM for FreeBSD. ;-)
Thank you for your time, and I hope you find this useful and informative.

Jerason Banes
Accelerated Genetics
jbanes@accelgen.com