Date:      Sun, 30 Sep 2001 00:33:18 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>, Konstantinos Konstantinidis <kkonstan@duth.gr>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: helping victims of terror

Terry Lambert said on Sep 29, 2001 at 11:47:42:
> > > India wanted to trade above the level needed to alleviate
> > > any unnecessary suffering of the civilian population in Iraq,
> >
> > What would you call "necessary suffering"?  The deaths of 150000
> > people through disease and starvation?  Does it become "unnecessary"
> > only if it exceeds some threshold?
>
> Suffering as a result of the lack of aid.  Suffering that
> results from Saddam gassing his own citizens will happen no
> matter what happens with the aid.

As, no doubt, they were getting gassed before 1991 too.  OK I'm tired
of this, and as many others obviously realised long before I did,
there's no point.  So I'll stop here, replying briefly only to some of
your India comments below.

> > And this number is not homogeneously mixed through the country; some
> > areas (parts of Uttar Pradesh in the north, or Hyderabad in the south,
> > for example) have large Muslim populations, perhaps 50% or more; other
> > parts have very few.
>
> This was rather my point, in quoting the C.I.A. statistics.
> The society in India is largely self selecting for ethnic
> density, and tends to create clusters within itself -- in
> the limit, sorting itself by ethnicity.

Another example of your ignorance of anything except CIA statistics.
The inhomogeneity is historical.

> caste system within the country (many Indian women even in
> the U.S. tend to wear caste marks, still; I know many who
> do... I saw three at work yesterday).

Those aren't caste marks.  They do tend to be associated with Hindus,
but it is mostly just tradition, and to a large extent cosmetic: for
that reason many Muslims and Christians (women) wear them occasionally
in India (to Indian eyes it looks good).  Partly it is dictated by
dress: that is, they tend to wear them with Indian dress and
particularly with sarees, but not with western dress.  Perhaps you
should take the trouble to ask your colleagues before spouting off on
mailing lists.