Date:      Sun, 10 Sep 2023 15:36:26 +0200
From:      Robert Clausecker <fuz@fuz.su>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: sed in CURRENT fails in textproc/jq

Hi Warner,

I have pushed a fix.  It should hopefully address those failing tests.
The same issue should also affect memcmp(), but unlike for memchr(), it is
illegal to pass a length to memcmp() that extends past the actual end of
the buffer as memcmp() is permitted to examine the whole buffer regardless
of where the first mismatch is.

I am considering a change to improve the behaviour of memcmp() on such
errorneous inputs.  There are two options: (a) I could change memcmp() the
same way I fixed memchr() and have implausible buffer lengths behave as if
the buffer goes to the end of the address space or (b) I could change
memcmp() to crash loudly if it detects such a case.  I could also
(c) leave memcmp() as is.  Which of these three choices is preferable?

Yours,
Robert Clausecker