Date:      Wed, 9 May 2001 12:27:33 +0800
From:      "David Xu" <bsddiy@163.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   kenel panic, vm_map_entry_create: kernel resources exhausted

I am using FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE,  my machine has 64 RAM.
I can use a fork bomb to crash kernel under some conditions,
fork bomb program is:

  #include <unistd.h>
  int main()
  {
         while(1)
        {
             if (fork() == 0)
                 break;
        }
        return 0;
}

when kernel panic, it prints: vm_map_entry_create: kernel resources
exhausted,
then after some seconds, it reboots.

I have found that if  I use GENERIC kernel config,  I can not trigger this
bug,
default maxusers value in GENERIC kernel config file is 32, this is fine,
if I change it to 128 and recompile/install kernel,  I can use the fork bomb
crash kernel.  it seems this problem is RAM size and maxusers parameter
related.  what max value of maxusers should I use if my RAM is 64M?

---
Regards,
David Xu