Date:      Sun, 8 Sep 1996 00:23:08 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu, taob@io.org, klam@awod.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Streamlogic RAIDION drive arrays

> What if:
>
> 1)	You sell commercial feed services, so the news has to be reliable?
> 	If you loase your feed data, so does everyone down stream from
> 	you.

You should still be able to recover.  In case of catastrophic failure, I
generally try to rebuild back past the point at which my drive crashed
anyways.  Having to absorb the penalty for RAID operations may reduce
your spool's throughput anyways..

> 2)	You sell posting services (as an ISP)?  If your crash occurs
> 	before the feed distribution, but after an article has been
> 	posted, your customer's article is lost.

That would be a matter of incompetence.  If you are not doing real time
outbound feeds in this day and age, you do not belong playing the news
game.  I can measure propagation time for locally posted articles from
any of the news servers that I run to any of the Top 5 news servers in
terms of seconds.. and count on one hand.  :-)  (I may be an example of
an unusually well connected site, but the point is, I move the articles
and I do so _fast_).

... JG