Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 2002 01:05:35 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Kenneth Culver <culverk@alpha.yumyumyum.org>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: C vs C++

[ Top-posting edited off.  Please, try to avoid top-posting. ]

On 2002-03-05 13:25, Kenneth Culver wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > "Steve B." wrote:
> > > I take a simplistic view after years of C++.
> > >
> > > C++ is good for large projects that need to be maintained into the future.
> > > Then the advantages of OO starts to kick in. For small projects that won't
> > > change much then C is the better choice IMO.
> >
> > Wow.  Forgot this disadvantage of C++, too.
> >
> > Yeah, it's difficult to write code that someone else
> > couldn't come in and maintain after it was done.  This
> > means that the normal rules about "write important code
> > and you have a job forever" no longer apply.  8-(.
>
> Why are you being so sarcastic? Everyone here is assuming that it's harder
> to write C++ code, so you should only use it if necessary. It isn't
> necessary to use it for something like a daemon.

Apart from the obvious reason that someone has to be the devil's
advocate, otherwise the thread will die, and I won't have anything to
download in my mailboxes...  Terry is right, although he chose a
humorous[1] way to list his arguments :-)

Terry suggested in his post (yes, the same one you find sarcastic),
that C++ code can be written in ways that will help maintaining it
later on.  The object oriented methodology of programming, is not
necessarily bad, and the Evil That Should Die(TM).  There are good
things about it, and there are bad things about it too.

[1] Let us not forget that sarcasm, is in fact a form of humour.

Giorgos Keramidas                       FreeBSD Documentation Project
keramida@{freebsd.org,ceid.upatras.gr}  http://www.FreeBSD.org/docproj/