Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 1998 16:33:58 +1100
From:      John Saunders <john.saunders@scitec.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   stable branch funnies

I've been wanting to track -stable and I think I've managed to get on
top of how to keep up using cvsup. But then I got a surprise yesterday.

I installed the source from my 2.2.5 CD and did a make world on
it which went OK. Machine still boots and works OK.

Then I read up on cvsup and I'm using it with a RELENG_2_2 tag to
suck updates from cvsup.au.freebsd.org (If anybody else does this
remember to unblock ports 5999 and 5998, if you firewall, as it
helps a lot :-) I got the cvsup-stable file from the web handbook.

I did my first cvsup a few days ago and I got a nice log file of
deltas being applied and files checked out (for example the game
boggle seemed to be a totally new game). I didn't do a build
after this due to time constraints.

Then yesterday I had time to do a build but decided to run cvsup
and get the latest and greatest before doing the build. What was
strange is that I noticed the boggle game being deleted but didn't
think anything more than "gee I would have liked to play it once".
I then tried a build which failed due to a problem in libg++.

I now have a number of possibilities for this failure and I'm not
sure how to proceed.

1) -stable is very volatile and whole programs coming and going, and
   failed builds, is a part of life. (I can't really believe this).
2) Somehow cvsup managed to reverse the sup it did a few days ago
   and removed things it shouldn't have (evidence boggle going). Or
   maybe it just went plain bonkers :-)
3) Who knows?

Reading up on the cvsup man page it says that it maintains a file(s)
so it knows what versions it has of each file. I have yet to locate
these files and after 2 runs of cvsup I would have expected these
files to be created. Is these missing files somehow confusing cvsup
about what versions it has and what it needs?

If anybody has some clues or tips I would be glad of some help.

Thanks.
      .   | John Saunders   mailto:John.Saunders@scitec.com.au  (Work) |
  ,--_|\  |                 mailto:john@nlc.net.au              (Home) |
 /  Oz  \ |                 http://www.nlc.net.au/~john/               |
 \_,--\_/ | SCITEC LIMITED  Phone +61 2 9428 9563  Fax +61 2 9428 9933 |
       v  |    "By the time you make ends meet, they move the ends."   |