Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 2004 16:01:48 +0300
From:      <webteam@pcbtech.ru>
To:        <freebsd-config@freebsd.org>
Subject:   rl[01]: watchdog timeout

Good time of the day to all you!

could possibly any of you had run into, and then have successfully escaped
the following situation:

have 5.2.1-RC2 w/ custom kernel (the same as the one, already used for about
10 pcs without any probem), two rl devices (Realtek 8139): the one is
onboard, another -- on a pci bus. external ethernet face goes into adsl
modem -- the mark unknown (there's no indications on its face), when logging
on its telnet port there's this tag 'CONEXANT SYSTEMS, INC. ACCESS RUNNER
ADSL CONSOLE PORT  3.24'.
On the system there's sendmail from base, w/ drweb-smf 4.30, attached via
Milter, squid-2.5.4_8 (from /usr/ports), named from base, micro_httpd (from
ports), ipfw + natd (now diverting only pop3 requests from internal subnet)

while the system on rest and there's no user activity of internal face, it
stands (at least seems so :-) -- can be pinged, ssh'd etc.
when the squid is up and running (without any problem, at least from its
logs) this behaviour is valid fro several minutes or so.. after that time
there's:

rl1: watchdog timeout

rl1 -- external face, rl0 -- internal

this may happen on both faces, on externel one, on internal -- not
systematic. after that i can't ping my gateway (adsl model -- a box with
ethernet + usb, the latter is not connected still). moreover, after some
time i can not ping even th einternal net -- not enough buffers..

>From the outer world the gateway (adsl box) can be pinged all the time..

only reboot of the FreeBSD pc can cure the situation. for several minutes
also ;-))

I've tried to down daemons (sendmail, squid, named..) -- the same result,
flush firewall -- the same..

But, if I disconnect internal subnet I _can_ fetch from ssh console,
originating from the outer world.

Read somewhere on the list that MTU can be lowered a little bit -- in vain
;-((

The last thing I've done -- recompiled world + kernel (now it's 5.2.1-RC2
cvsup'd today morning). The same. At the same time i've updated another
proxy-server, also equiped w/ two Realtek's and adsl modem (haven't seen the
box) -- it rocks. Quite similar config.

Moreover, I have about 10 similar configs in different places, and they all
really rocks. I could suspect that adsl box, but it runs w/o any problem
while working alone... Moreover, while plug-in its (adsl box) ethernet into
windows-pc it works w/o any problem (also alone). Can it be the case?
(traffic amount maybe?)
Provider refuses to exchange the box w/o obviuos reasons, but it's rather
obvious behaviour ;-) Similarly he has no what is FreeBSD like: none can
work w/ it (also plain to understand ;-)

The only difference between these pcs in kernel config -- ehci driver.

So the questions are:
Should I try to connect that adsl box by usb?
Could this malfunction be achieved by activation of ehci driver?
Did anyone ever have the same situation?

my best regards,

Oleg Strizhak
PCB Technology
WebTeam