Date:      Wed, 9 Sep 1998 09:24:32 -0500
From:      Jim Thompson <jct@blkbox.com>
Subject:   Re: lilo: "not the first disk"

>>>>> "rgb" == Robert G Brown <rgb@phy.duke.edu> writes:

    rgb> This is not correct.  I've built several systems with both IDE
    rgb> and SCSI drives and booted off of either one; the real issue is
    rgb> what is found in the MBR of the drive marked in the BIOS as the
    rgb> primary boot drive, since this is what the BIOS firmware will
    rgb> load to start the boot process.

I repeat: it's not a boot-time problem; it's an install-time problem.
In any case, I think the lilo.conf fix suggested earlier is the right
answer.  It seems pretty clear to me that lilo is making a bogus
assumption about boot-drive ordering in mixed systems.

Jim
--
   _| ~-    Jim Thompson               |   Flinging magnetic curses...