Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 1995 08:40:37 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        moonhunt@easy.re.kr
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: Installation problem

As Julian Elischer wrote:

> > I know, SEAGATE HDD's geometry infomation is below.
> >
> > 		Cyl	Head	Sector	RPM	Capacity
> > ST32430N	2605	19	82	5411	2.14GB
> > ST15230N	3974	19	111	5411	4.294GB
> >
> > But boot.flp's Partition menu reports different geometry information.
> > So I put correct geometry information by "g" command.
> > And I do installation procedure by commit.
> you must NOT use this geometry..
> you MUST be compatible with BIOS PRETEND geometry.
> the BIOS pretend geometry is:
> 64 heads
> 32 sectors/track
> 1023 cylinders <--this number does not matter just make it 1023 for now..

Since it seems that you're going to install a FreeBSD-only system,
perhaps you'll find it easier to use the ``dangerously dedicated
disk'' option.  Say ``A)ll'' in the partitioning menu, and answer the
next question with the non-default value (``No'').

This way, your BSD partition will start on sector 0, and you don't
have to care for any geometry.  (Ignore the ``The detected geometry is
incorrect...'' warning.)

Btw., i doubt your information about the geometry is correct.  As far
as i know, the disk vendors publish cylinder and head numbers, and
only tell you a range for the sectors per track, since the outer
tracks have more sectors than the inner.  The only trustworthy value
is the ``total blocks per disk'', and that's basically what's being
used in the above scenario.

--
cheers, J"org