Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 1997 03:12:00 +0800
From:      "M.C Wong" <mcwong@imail.com>
To:        <security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Writing buffer overwrite on FreeBSD ?

Dear Sir/Madam,

With reference to http://www.l0pht.com/advisories/bufero.html, I wonder
if anyone manage to make 2nd cut of the program used in the tutorial
(syslog_test_2.c) throws out a SIGTRAP ? Similarly for the 3rd cut and
the final program which runs smoothly from begining to end and not
causing any error. Am I reading the codes wrongly ?

I understand the code was originally written on BSDI system but thought
the similarity between it and FreeBSD should exhibit the same bahaviour
when executing the codes. Not!

Have someone had any experience in writing similar buffer overun test
code that actually works on a FreeBSD box ?

Appreciate sharing of such information if available.

Regards,

M.C Wong