Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 2014 11:19:37 +0000
From:      Matt Smith <fbsd@xtaz.co.uk>
To:        Mathieu Arnold <mat@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Unbound/NSD rc startup order

On Dec 12 12:07, Mathieu Arnold wrote:
>+--On 12 décembre 2014 05:00:00 -0600 Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>| On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 4:15 AM, Darren Pilgrim
>| <list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com> wrote

>|> Unbound requires SERVERS, but nsd requires LOGIN, a much later
>|> checkpoint.
>|>
>|> The fix would be adding an rcorder override mechanism whereby one could
>|> specify additional constraints (like unbound REQUIRE nsd).  If there's
>|> interest for this, I can see about a patch.
>|>
>| Would it be better to add:
>|
>|# BEFORE: unbound
>|
>| to the dns/nsd rc.d script?
>
>Well, the thing is, a resolver is required way before an authoritative
>server is.

Yes. I've been thinking that maybe it's actually in the correct order
really after all. I've worked around my particular problem by changing
the order, but that might not be the case for everyone else.

I'm thinking now why actually do I have DNSSEC validation on my local
intranet domain and reverse DNS anyway? I run two instances of NSD, one
for the LAN which Unbound talks to, and one for the internet which
everyone else talks to. It could be argued that I only need to DNSSEC
sign the internet copies of the zones and not the LAN ones in which case
this problem won't exist. Maybe I should just go down that route
instead.

--
Matt