Date:      Fri, 29 Dec 1995 14:33:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Rashid  Karimov <rashid@rk.ios.com>
To:        mcquiggi@sfu.ca (Kevin McQuiggin)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tutorial on partitioning, disklabel, newfs?

		Hi there folx,

> I have just added a new HD to my 2.1 system. As it's the kind of thing that
> I only do once in awhile, I'm very shaky about the esoterics of fdisk,
> diskpart, disklabel, newfs, etc.

	Those ones can drive average person crazy ... I remember the
	last time when used them on FreeBSD 151  ...  :)

	I use the following method to add extra HDD to  FreeBSD
	system ( God, please forgive me !):

	install new HD into the system

	prepare the bool floppy

	boot of it

	mark the boot HD and the NEW ONE as the ones
	to be used.

	in the partition screen be sure to specify mount points
	for the boot(old) HD and !!! NO NEWFS OPTION !!! - its default
	option - so just don't touch  it , but be sure its OFF.

	Partition the new HD in the way you want/need

	Specify the media from which to install to be UFS
	( local filesystem), type something like
	/weqfewfef for the location - I bet you don;t have
	this folder :)

	commit the install ( be sure to tell it not to touch
	the boot manager !)

	The system will fsck BOOT DISK's partition, partition
	and newfs new HD and fail trying to get the distribution
	from the USF partition.

	That's it - quit install, reboot , mount the new HD's
	partitions under the desired mount points ( probably
	you'll have to create the corresponding directories by
	hand)

	Looks lengthy , sounds scary - but it's very fast (~8 minutes
	average for 4 Gb Barracuda ) and guaranteed to work.

	If you have extra PC you can use - the run the whole process
	on that one and later just move the HD into the destination
	box.

	Rashid.

	Have a great New Year all :))