Date:      Sat, 30 Sep 1995 09:41:28 +1000 (EST)
From:      Anthony Hill <ahill@netspace.net.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppp.conf - how to dial and connect from command line ?

I know this is a FAQ, but I still cant find the answer.

I want to get ppp to dial and connect to my ISP with a single command.
(from a cron job actually)
At the moment my ppp.conf looks like this :-

work:
 set speed 38400
 set device /dev/cuaa1
 set ifaddr 202.21.8.125 192.189.54.25
 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" ATE1Q0 OK-AT-OK
\\dATDT\
\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
 set phone 131929
 set login "TIMEOUT 9 Username:-\\r-Username: myname word: mypass > ppp
name: myname word: mypass
 set timeout 120

Which is great - but I still have to manually send the 'dial' command to ppp
before it will actually dial. How can I get it to dial without manually
sending the dial command. (Dial on demand is not appropriate)

Thanks
Anthony Hill
ahill@connect.com.au