Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 1999 09:43:21 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP Reviewers. VFS changes to be committed.

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Aug 1999 08:28:29 GMT, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>
> > Am I to take it that silence is accpetance?  I'll be committing this
> > to -current tonight or tomorrow unless I get feedback.
>
> Recent discussions with bde and eivind indicate that at least some of
> the code you're about to touch has one or more maintainers. Kirk
> McKusick is probably one of them.

I will attempt to contact him.  Afaik he is on vacation and won't be
available for quite some time.  David is the principal architect,
and Mike Smith refered me to Michael Hancock.  I probably should
try phk as well as it seems he's been messing around with vfs lately
as well.

> Make sure you contact the maintainers directly before smacking their
> code.

I have done so in the past (uthread) and will continue to respect the
maintainers.

> Also, I'd suggest that it's a bad idea to say "if I get no feedback
> before tonight, I'm committing". I think this applies even if it's not
> the first time you've asked for review. Basically, timezones and stuff
> make for a situation where such an e-mail is useless for many of your
> readers.

I agree with you on this, I just wanted to get the ball rolling on
these changes.  I've seen that in past silence often means
acceptance, however I wanted to make sure, hence the email.  I
espcially don't want to re-merge my code, I'm sure you know how
fustrating that gets after the 3rd or 4th time. :)

Just fyi, the changes are just a cleanup imo with the addition
of 3 new syscalls where suser(p) == 0 must be true.

-Alfred