Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 11:27:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        Stephen Hocking <shocking@houston.rr.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Converting Sun Automounter maps

On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, Stephen Hocking wrote:
> I've stumbling into the wonderful world of auto-mounting, and trying to
> convert some maps from a Sun box to the FreeBSD format. I have amd.conf set up
> OK as per the man page, but keep on getting errors when changing into the
> relevant directorys (like amd can't find an appropriate match). Has anyone
> been down this path?

Somewhat related to this...

I've tried to get FreeBSD to behave with Sun automount home directories.
When all the (Sun) home directories are on one system, I could get
by by exporting the home directory on the Sun and automounting this
as /home on the FreeBSD box.  But we're now expanding so that home
directories will exist on 2 different Sun boxen, and this will no
longer work.  I've resorted to disable automounting of users home
directories on the Suns (where /home/<user> could be automounted to
any Sun box/filesystem) and am now auotmounting /home/<machinename>
instead.  So home directories are /home/box1/user23 or /home/box2/user134.
FreeBSD can now deal with this by automounting box1 and box2 under /home.

amd-utils doesn't seem to support the autofs mapping needed to
allow FreeBSD to exist in such an environment where each users home
directory is automounted.  I remember searching the newsgroups
regarding this issue, and there did seem to be some initial support
for autofs though.

--
Dan Eischen