Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:11:19 +0100
From:      Michael Riexinger <michael.riexinger@de.clara.net>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org, petroff@car-bg.com
Subject:   Re: gmirror problem

On Tuesday 09 November 2004 16:36, Dimiter Petrov wrote:
> hello,
>  i have freebsd 5.3 and i'm trying to make a software raid with
> gmirror. I hava a disk with data and i want to add another one to
> make a mirror.
>
> here is what i am typing from man gmirror
>
>     gmirror label -v -b round-robin data ad0
>
> But there is an error
>
>    Can't store metadata on ad0: Operation not permitted.
Is any filesystem on ad0 mounted?
Try booting from the freebsd install cd, choose rescue from live cd and
insert disc 2... then cd /dist; chroot .; mount_devfs devfs /dev;
gmirror load; gmirror label  ...; exit; mount
yourrootfs /mnt; /dist/usr/bin/vi /mnt/etc/fstab (change devices to the
gmirror devices), echo geom_mirror_load=\"YES\" >>/
mnt/boot/loader.conf; echo swapoff=\"YES\" >> /etc/rc.conf (if there's
a swap partition on the mirror); umount /mnt; exit and reboot :)

Hope that helps

Kind regards,

Michael Riexinger
systems engineer

--
claranet gmbh   internet service provider
tel   +49 (0) 69  - 40 80 18 - 300