Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 08:47:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, developers@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD performing worse than Linux?

> FWIW, I'm seeing this as well.  However, this appears to be a new
> occurance, as we were using a FreeBSD 3.X system for our reference test
> platform.  I recently updated it to FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE, and I'm getting
> nothing but complaints about broken connections, poor performance, and
> very inconsistent results.

Most likely between 3.x and 4.4-REL the driver for the network
card(s) that you're using got changed, and are now causing problems.  Many
drivers are now much more picky about media problems, so it would be wise
to make sure that the hosts on the local LAN segment aren't a) filling the
LAN with garbage from a bad cable, and b) the FreeBSD is hooked to the LAN
with a good cable.

--
Matt Emmerton