Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 01:40:25 -0500
From:      Tom Embt <tom@embt.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: P-II vs K6-2

>Whether you get better performance out of a small, fast L2 cache or a
>larger, slower one depends entirely on the application.  It would be
>really interesting to see some figures here instead of theory.
>
>Greg

This would be a fun area to do some benchmarking in.  I think a few people
have said that certain 3D first person shooter games under Win95 benefitted
from the faster, but smaller, cache of the Celeron.  I would not be
surprised, however, if the big slow cache of a real P2 held a slight edge
in an environment with lots of separate threads each doing, say, compiling
or something.  Anybody care to run some tests?  (I don't have a P2-anything)

Tom Embt                                 ICQ UIN:  11245398
tom@embt.com                                         d:-)>