Date:      Mon, 3 Nov 1997 23:58:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      craig@tuna.progroup.com (Craig W. Shaver)
To:        shanmin@lvdi.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Super User ->ps2 mouse, psm0

> Hi!
>     I am new to freebsd, and I recently bought the CD to learn more from it.
> I have 2 questions  concerning setting it up and using it, however.
>
> 1)  I have a PS/2 mouse and keyboard, and I am currently trying to install
> FreeBSD 2.2.2.  It's registering a conflict in the port address between the
> keyboard and mouse device, and I can't find a way around it.  I need a mouse
> to use XWindows, but I can't get past this step.  If it has something to do
> with recompiling the system, please walk me through it.  If you don't want
> to walk me through it, that's fine - I will figure it out.

I have used the ps/2 mouse and never had a conflict with it.  Did you recompile
the kernel to enable the psm0 device?  Of course my ps/2 mouse is on the
motherboard and not the keyboard, if that makes a difference.

> 2) I have trouble logging on as super-user using any of the normal user
> accounts I created during setup.  I get an error of something like "Not in
> the correct class to su root".  Please help me.  Also, I can't press

As 'root' edit the /etc/group file to add yourself to the wheel group.

--> wheel:*:0:root,craig

> backspace and erase any mistakes I type when I log on as a normal user,
> because it prints ^ and a character when I do so.  When I log on as root,
> this doesn't happen.

hmmmmm, I use csh and do the following in my .cshrc:

stty erase '^h' echoe
stty kill '^u'
stty intr '^?'

Be sure to type the '^h' as *4* characters, not an actual control-h.
If you are a sh user you can do this in the .profile.  ^h is the
backspace key, ^? is the del key, and I forget what the hell ^U maps
to -- if anything.  The default for intr is ^C, and is used to interrupt
and kill the current program you are running.  The default for erase
is the del key, and is used to erase the last character typed into
the shell input.  The kill default is, hhmmmmm, ^u, oh what the hell.
I never use it anyway.  It is used to kill (erase) the entire current
input line to the shell, and to output a newline.

hmmmm, do you know what the .cshrc and .profile files are?  They go
into the home directory and initialize the startup shell you are using.
Do a man stty, man csh, or man sh.  I'll send you some samples if need
them.

Get the "UNIX System Administration Handbook" by Nemeth etal....
Get UNIX for Dummies, or something similar.  Learn how to use the
man pages (man man, man -k "key", etc....).

> I appreciate your helping me.  I am a beginner at UNIX and greatly
> appreciate any help you guys can give me.  I know my questions sound like
> they come from an imbecil, but I am taking a brave new step in a new
> frontier.  Thank you very much for having a tech support line.

UNIX is harder to learn to use because there is more to it.  It is a
powerful OS that can be used for serious applications.  Hang in there.

--
Craig Shaver  (craig@progroup.com) (415)390-0654
Productivity Group POB 60458 Sunnyvale, CA  94088