Date:      Sat, 6 Jul 1996 17:15:04 -0400
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        terry@lambert.org
Cc:        kaveman@magna.com.au, terry@lambert.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What is the best way to setup a drive

 >>> I don't think there is a problem with symlinking /etc/passwd; in
 >>> theory, it's not in use until after the mounts are done.
 >> Except when booting single user with an insecure console. :)
 > THere is no such thing as an insecure console, IMO.  If they can
 > use a screwdriver to remove the hard drive, single user
 > non-password root access isn't a problem.

Well, in the lab across the room from me, somebody can easily set up
an insecure suid program in no time and not be noticed.  But somebody
is sure to notice through the glass walls the guy with a screwdriver
and a maniacal look.

This is the same idea behind encryption: make it hard enough to make
it not worth the time spent to break root, for whatever reason.

--
http://www.wp.com/piquan --- Joel Ray Holveck --- joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu

Fourth law of computing:
  Anything that can go wro
.signature: segmentation violation -- core dumped