Date:      Sun, 4 Feb 96 21:20:40 EST
From:      jeff@stat.uconn.edu (Jeffrey M. Metcalf)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Installing from Floppy

Hello,

I am interested in installing FreeBSD from floppies (my DOS configuration
does not support installation from a partition) and have been able to use
the novice installation menu to install the /bin distribution and
manpages.  I have also been able to install packages by writing the
packages from floppy to a preexisting file system and installing them
from there.  I am only now gaining experience as my own system admin,
so the more menu driven stuff I have, the better.

The problem is that the files for installing X-Windows are often more
that what can fit on a standard 1.44MB floppy.  So I would like to,
if possible, gunzip and "detar" them in DOS, rearrange them to fit
on a floppy, put them in a preexisting file system on my base
distribution (putting them back into their original configurations)
and installing them from there.  What I need to know is can I reenter
the installation process non-destructively to my preexisting base
distribution and just install X and kernel sources from there?  I
guess comments from somebody with a good familiarity with the novice
installation process would be appreciated.  Also, could you tell me
which files are the only ones necessary for kernel sources and where
they should go?  I need to reconfigure my kernel to support a PS/2
mouse and right now I have no sources.  I would like to avoid installing
all sources since they take up too much space.  Thank You.

Sincerely,

J. Metcalf