Date:      Fri, 17 Jun 2016 21:34:30 -0700
From:      Hal Murray <hmurray@megapathdsl.net>
To:        bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org, hmurray@megapathdsl.net
Subject:   Re: pl2303 lockups on rpi2

fbsd@www.zefox.net said:
> The problem seems to move with the adapter from one RPI2 to the next, which
> suggests a bad adapter, but I'm wondering if it might also be a driver
> operating on the edge.

How solid is your power?

I've seen USB screwups on a Pi 3 running Linux talking to a GPS unit with a
PL2303.  The symptom was that every day or two, it just stopped working.
Unplugging and replugging fixed it.  I didn't find a way to fix it from the
command line.

Somebody suggested that a Pi-? needs more than 4.8 V.  My setup was running
at 4.8 V.  Power seemed like a likely problem, but I didn't track down the
source.  It could be a handy urban legend.

You can get USB cables with heavier gauge power wires.  I got some Tronsmart
brand.  They gave me a bit more than an extra 0.1 V, but I don't have enough
hours on them to know if it solved the problem.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.