Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 1996 13:31:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        John Konkal <ve7jwk@mail.awinc.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation.

On Mon, 26 Feb 1996, John Konkal wrote:

> When I ran FDISK and attempted to set the partition as 'active' it indicated
> that the drive already has an active partition, and would not let me do
> anything to it.  I also remember that the HD has 2100 cyl. So I should
> probably set the boot partition to less than 1024, correct?  I am not too
> sure if I have to re-install it again... Doesn't the kernel have to be a
> part of the boot partition?

The partition to boot must be below 1024 cylinders if you don't have a
translating BIOS.  You didn't have OnTrack or something similar installed
before you put on the boot manager?  Hope not....

The kernel doesn't have to be install specially for it to be booted.  All
you need is the boot blocks in to get it to jump over to bsd.

You may actually have to reinstall one more time, to get a partition
below 1024 cyls.  Sorry....

I'm putting this back into questions so someone can check me..

Internet:  dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu | Residence Networking Assistant