Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 1999 13:34:42 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        John <papalia@UDel.Edu>
Cc:        Jim Conner <jconner@enterit.com>, Martin Welk <mw@theatre.sax.de>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wrapping Sendmail [was: Re: DNS Setup]

On Sun, 19 Dec 1999 14:17:33 EST, John wrote:

> So, I'm assuming that sendmail belongs within the hosts.allow file, unless
> I'm missing something?

You're not missing anything.  Since 3.2-RELEASE, sendmail has been
linked against libwrap, thus using TCP Wrappers when considering
incoming connections.

> I guess, another question for this would be "how do you use this to
> prevent spammers/relay-rapers?

You don't, really.

> Do you deny everyone other than your local host?  Since if you do,
> won't that prevent all mail from coming in?"

No and yes. :-)

Using TCP Wrappers for sendmail is only really useful for special cases,
for example for relay-only hosts that don't accept incoming connections,
or hosts that only accept incoming connections from a limited number of
mail gateways.

Ciao,
Sheldon.