Date:      Sun, 13 Jan 2002 22:40:32 -0400
From:      "Matthew Rudderham" <cfxu690@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Reapiring bad blocks w/ fschk

Hi,
On a box I have running 4.3-Release I have been getting these messages every
so often:

Jan 11 20:47:11 cfxu /kernel: ad0s1a: hard error reading fsbn 58622143 of
2162752-2162767 (ad0s1 bn 58622143; cn 37220 tn 10 sn 13) status=59 error=40

I assume a few bad sectors have developed on the disk.  When trying to
install packages I'm often getting messages related to not being able to
write within /var/ such as mktemp /var/tmp failed and could not add to
/var/db/pkg/... Etc so I assume these are where the bad blocks have
developed. I was wondering how I can mark these blocks as unusable so I can
continue to use the system until I get a replacement drive.  Also when
running fsck normally it does show a few blocks it could not read from.  Any
help would be very appreciated, the fsck manual was not much help and the
archives of -questions seems to be out of order. Many Thanks.

Matt Rudderham
Station Manager / Engineering
matt@cfxu.ca
CFXU Radio