Date:      Tue, 06 Sep 2011 21:15:01 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        perryh@pluto.rain.com
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, jhs@berklix.com, utisoft@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: sysutils/cfs

On 09/07/2011 00:07, perryh@pluto.rain.com wrote:

>>> It _certainly_ won't happen if those in charge refuse to try it!
>>
>> My point was that the idea is impractical. I was trying to be polite.
>
> How is it impractical to, as a rule, set an expiration date based
> on an anticipated future release date rather than only a month or
> two out from when the decision is made?

As has repeatedly been explained to you, you're asking the wrong
question. The question is, how does it benefit the users to leave it in
when we know that we're going to delete it? Either way the user will
discover that the port is not easily available for installation when
they update their ports tree.

The difference is that in the meantime people doing work on the ports
tree don't have to work around the old port (that's going to be removed
anyway). The point has repeatedly been made that with almost 23,000
ports in the tree both innovation and maintenance become significantly
more difficult. Keeping that burden as low as possible is a feature.

To answer your question more directly, start thinking through all the
possible permutations of having 4 completely separate branches of
FreeBSD active and supported at the same time, with releases happening
several times a year. Now consider how to handle EOL branches. Then
consider that FreeBSD has _never_ supported a release-branched ports
tree, precisely because it's a huge amount of additional work that we
don't have person-hours for.

I realize that what you're proposing sounds attractive from a purely
theoretical standpoint. The problem is that it increases the maintenance
burden a non-trivial amount without providing any substantive benefit.

Doug

			-- OK Go