Date:      Mon, 19 Oct 2015 21:50:12 +0000
From:      "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>, NGie Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>, freebsd-arch <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [RFC] importing e* (embolic, estrdup, etc) functions from NetBSD (libc/libutil or libnetbsd)?

--------
In message <20151019212750.GB64504@spindle.one-eyed-alien.net>, Brooks Dav=
is writes:

>This feels like the right approach to me as well.

I looked at it at one point and I found it seriously lacking.

The philosophy seems to be "just stick 'e' in front and you're done"
but in practice that is not even close.

The *real* problem they're trying to solve is safe string handling,
and the e* functions only cover a small corner area of that space.

Their implemenation also seems half-hearted in many ways.  For
instance they have not specified what happens if the error handler
returns to the e* function.

And finally, C-with-exceptions ?  Really ?

I far prefer sbuf(3) to e*(3)

-- =

FreeBSD committer       | BSD since 4.3-tahoe    =

Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by incompetence=
.