Date:      Thu, 06 Dec 2012 03:40:30 -0800
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VIA VL8xx USB 3.0 controller supported?

Nevermind!

I tried the card in two other systems and in both cases it was recognized
just fine, at least by a Linux-based LiveCD that I have here (and also
by Windows).

It is also recognized just fine on one of these other systems when I booted
to the FreeBSD 9.1-RC3 LiveCD (but is not seen on the same system by FreeBSD
8.3-RELEASE, which is perhaps to be expected).

So anyway, my apologies for wasting electrons on what now appears to be
a non-issue.  The card is perfectly good, and is properly recognized by
recent FreeBSD releases.  It just does not get along at all well with one
particular and specific older MSI motherboard that I happen to have here.
(I was going to trash that one anyway, and now I may do so sooner rather
than later.)

Regards,
rfg

P.S.  To whomever maintains the {x,e,o,u}hci drivers:  The vendor code
0x1106 apparently corresponds to "VIA Technologies, Inc."

I only mention this because I noticed that in the startup syslog messages
on 9.1-RC3, my Nvidia USB 2.0 controller was properly identified as <Nvidia>,
whereas this new card was identified only as <0x1106>.

Ref:  http://pciids.sourceforge.net/v2.2/pci.ids