Date:      Mon, 28 Nov 2011 14:55:46 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        gljennjohn@googlemail.com
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
Subject:   Re: suggested xorg-compatible video HW for FreeBSD/amd64 ?

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 3:39 AM, Gary Jennejohn
<gljennjohn@googlemail.com> wrote:
> As to ATI - I don't think that either radeonhd or the ati driver support
> these newer chips, but I could be wrong. =A0I'm running radeonhd but I
> have integrated graphics based on the older ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
> controller.
>
> --
> Gary Jennejohn

Just a quick reminder as it seems to be forgotten too often...radeonhd
has not been supported or updated in a long time and is generally a
bad choice. Modern Radeon (4xxx) is supported much better with the ati
driver which is still getting some love.

Since Radeon is open-source, you might expect good support, but it
also depends on kernel mode setting and requires custom KMS DRI code
in the kernel which I am not sure anyone is working on for FreeBSD.

Maybe when the Intel KMS is completed...
--=20
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com