Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 1998 14:45:43 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0-current (a.out) failure for x11-toolkits/p5-Gtk

> I am probably completely missing something, but I don't understand.
> p5-Gtk (in conjuction with perl5, either system or ports) is supposed
> to install all the stuff in /usr/local/lib/perl5.  It does in 2.2, it
> should in 3.0.  If it doesn't, it's the system perl that's broken, not
> the p5-Gtk port.

Ummm.  But there IS NO /usr/local/lib/perl5 on a stock 3.0 system!
And what's more, the ports collection would not install such a
directory since it would have already found perl5 in /usr/bin.  It's
not perl5 which is broken at all - it's merely doing what it's
supposed to do and its the ports collection which hasn't caught up yet
with the idea that /usr/local/lib/perl5 might very well not exist even
though perl5 does.

Does that make more sense?

- Jordan