Date:      Sat, 30 Nov 1996 11:43:40 -0700 (MST)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tekram 390U and Seagate hawk ST32151N

On Sat, 30 Nov 1996, Stefan Esser wrote:

> > Tried lowering the SCSI bus speed, disabling things that could cause
> > problems, etc.  See the same thing when we try it with a different type of
> > Seagate.  Yes, the bus is properly terminated and we have tried multiple
> > cables.
>
> When does it hang:
>
> 1) After showing the brand/model of the drive ?
> 2) After finding all devices on the SCSI bus ?
> 3) After loading the FreeBSD kernel ?

Right after the probe, when it shows the ID and LUD, ie.:
	ID-LUN: 0-0

It does not get to printing the identification of the drive and hangs
right after it prints the above.  Tried several IDs, it always hangs when
it gets to the hard drive; right befere (1) I guess it would be.  Someone
else suggested that it could be due to the fact that it can't handle
parsing a drive setup dedicated to FreeBSD, so I'll try re-fdisking it.

> I just wondered whether you have a WIDE drive connected
> to the Tekram. This could cause problems, since an 8bit
> cable is used to connect a WIDE capable SCSI chip (the
> 53c875) and a WIDE capable drive, then ...

Nope.

[...]
> I'd like to get this sorted out as soon as possible, to
> have a chance to get this fxixed for 2.2R ...

Don't think it is a FreeBSD problem, but I'll let you know if I do
encounter any FreeBSD problems once it is running.  We are using -stable,
but put the driver from -current in to make it work.

I also encountered once machine where I simply could not make the Tekram
install its BIOS; yanked everything else out, played with PCI bus
settings, but the card would just detect drives and work find under
FreeBSD but not install the BIOS and I couldn't change any settings.
<sigh> I'm inclined to write that off to the wonders of PCI or, more
accurately, the wonders of the attempt to make PCI and PNP work by stupid
motherboard and BIOS manufacturers.