Date:      Fri, 6 Apr 2001 20:03:21 +0200
From:      thomas graichen <list-freebsd.hackers@spoiled.org>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ffsfsn

Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net> wrote:
> * Dmitry Sivachenko <dima@Chg.RU> [010406 05:18] wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> What does 'ffsfsn' state (shown in top(1) output) mean?
>> I am inserting records in Postgres, and the process is going very slowly
>> probably due to postgres is in this state...

> Looks like part of the file being fsync'd.  Did you read the docs
> that come with Postgresql?  There's an option you need to use to
> disable calls to fsync() for each operation that ought to speed
> things up for you.

might be worth waiting for the soon to be available postgresql 7.1 which
has write ahead logging and can thus run quite safe without fsync
(in 7.0 running without fsync might be a bit unsafe in case of
a crash i think)

thomas graichen <tgr@spoiled.org> ... perfection is reached, not
when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no
longer anything to take away. --- antoine de saint-exupery