Date:      Mon, 03 Jul 2000 09:36:25 -0500
From:      "Kim J. Brand" <kim@simple-mail.com>
To:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@aracnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: install fails on 10.2 GB drive using 4.0

just noticed that the failure at the line starting with 'Unable to swap
to...' includes a message that the device has not been configured???

thanks alot for your reply!

i poked around in the bios of my asus p3v4x, (bios v1005,) and found that
setting hard drive type to 'user hdd' allowed me to configure LBA.  thanks
for the lead!  (this is a WD Caviar 102AA.)

however, the failure is the same: at installation startup, after allocating
all of the hard drive for FreeBSD, choosing all the defaults for
partitioning, and selecting a standard boot manager, the error remains:

Unable to swap to /dev/ad0s1b: device not configured.  This may cause...

then, when i continue, i get:

Unable to make new root filesystem on /dev/rad0s1a!  Command returned
status 1.

hope this helps.

thanks again,

kim