Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 1997 09:18:03 -0700
From:      Kenneth Ingham <ingham@i-pi.com>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   NIS: how secure is it?

One of my clients has a firewall.  The external network has three
FreeBSD machines on it (plus a router, of course):

mail		ftp/www		authentication
server		server		server

The network to which these machines are connected is completely
inside of the machine room, and is considered secure from taps by
the bad guys (if this assumption is violated, we have much bigger
problems).

Currently each machine has a separate password file, along with
the maintenance headaches that accompany such a setup.  They all
really need a shared password file.

The machines are separate to provide a bit of isolation---in case
one is compromised, we want to keep the damage as contained as
possible.

The kerberos docs specifically recommend against using it as a
common password file between machines which will be used by more
than one person at a time.

That leaves me with NIS.

Can I trust NIS if I set it up as follows?

The authentication server is the NIS master.  This machine has
nearly no network services running (only ssh and telnet+s/key
required and tcp wrappers on these), and has schg flags on most
every file, set at time of install.  Making it the master and each
other machine a slave means that the master doesn't have to have
another open port; it generates all the traffic.

The other two machines are NIS slave servers.  The only network
traffic should be when someone changes a password, and the master
pushes the update to the slaves.  Losing a machine doesn't affect
the others (except the auth server being down prevents password
changes).

What kind of exposure do I have if the mail or ftw machine is broken
into?  I would assume that we're open to password guessing if root
is compromised.  Right now, we have the same exposure, except that
each machine has a different password file, so it could be possible
for people to have different passwords on each machine (I doubt
it, and I initialized the ftp server with the password file from
the mail server).

Comments?

Kenneth