Date:      Wed, 17 Feb 1999 09:36:38 -0800
From:      Chris Knight <fbsd-cur@ghostwheel.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to play with pci128 sound card

Greetings,

  I also have a Creative Labs Sound Blaster PCI128 installed, and though I
followed your instructions below I am not havine what I would call
promising results.

At 12:21 PM 1/10/99 +0100, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

>you need a -current system with the "pcm" device, then

I am running 3.1-STABLE, but since your instructions were dated befoe the
split, I assumed this would be OK.  I have added the pnp0 controller and
the pcm0 device to my kernel.

/kernel: es1: <AudioPCI ES1370> rev 0x00 int a irq 12 on pci0.10.0
/kernel: pcm1: using I/O space register mapping at 0xb800

>	cd /dev
>	./MAKEDEV snd1

I have done this.

>	cat somefile > /dev/audio

When I cat'd a .au file I had on my system there was a pause before I got
my prompt back, but complete silence from the speakers.  Since I did not
get any errors addressing the device, could this be a volume problem?  If
so, is there any way to adjust the volume.

If not a volume problem, do you have any suggestions?

Any help appreciated!

-ck