Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 1995 16:42:25 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        fenner@parc.xerox.com, terry@lambert.org
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel versions and config's rm -rf

>> The other solution that I was considering was reading the number out of
>> the "version" file before the "rm -rf" and then writing it out again
>> afterwards.  I'll write that instead, if it would make you more comfortable.

>Yes, please.  This keeps the breakage in the dependency graph (which
>will hopefully some day be fixed) sperate from the config, which
>removes far more than it really has too, but does so because the
>dependecy graph breakage is hidden from it.

Arrgh.  The dependencies are all contained in .depend and Makefile.
`make clean' doesn't remove the former so you have to do it.  `config'
touches the latter (even when it shouldn't) so you don't have to remove
it.  The following steps are sufficient:

	cd /sys/compile/FOOKERNEL
	make clean
	rm -f .depend
	cd /sys/i386/conf
	# in case config is still broken:
	export NO_CONFIG_CLOBBER='config clobbering is braindamaged'
	config ...

Removing *.c and *.h has no effect other than to remove old unreferenced
rubbish.

>I'm wondering at the existance of compile time optioning in the first
>place.  Really, it exists because the device driver and other subsystems
>don't have explicit registration mechanisms that don't depend on static
>data.

No, it exists because static configuration is easier to implement and
has less bloat.

Bruce