Date:      Sun, 23 Nov 2003 13:16:50 +0200
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        Scott W <wegster@mindcore.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (Semi)hot swap IDE

Hello!

I wrote:

> >If the majority is right and IDE drives cannot be hot swapped, this
> >would indicate that we would need to power down the machine every time
> >we want to change the backup HDs. This would be less than
> >perfect, but since we are cheap we could live with it.

> >OTOH I read 'man atacontrol' and saw that there are commands like
> >'atacontrol detach' and 'atacontrol attach' which seem to be meant
> >for detaching/attaching IDE devices while the machine is running.
> >Does this mean that I could actually run 'atacontrol detach <channel>', swap the
> >drive and then run 'atacontrol attach <channel>' and be able to use
> >the second HD after that? Is anyone doing something like that?

To which Scott W replied:

> I dislike IDE and tend ot avoid it like the plague when possible,

Me too.

> but:
> 1.  The 'generic' removeable drive trays for IDE that use a normal IDE
> controller (like attaching to the slave or secondary channel on most
> onboard IDE), with another disk or device attached that's being used, do
> not support removeable devices.  It's _extremely_ likely that you'll
> hang the IDE bus.

If there is only CD-ROM (which is almost never used) attached as
primary master and the removable disk attached as secondary master then
maybe I don't need to worry too much about that.

> 2.  Having mentioned #1 already, it's _possible_ that using a secondary
> controller (unsure if this can be the second channel of onboard or not,
> but NOT simply the slave of a given channel with another device), and
> atacontrol, it appears (no, I have not tried this), you can bring the
> controller itself (or channel?) offline, attach or remove the drive, and
> then reattach it.  I'd like to hear more details on this one myself, and
> may have a system I can test it on if I get too bored, but have long ago
> chucked my IDE trays..

I'll probably be forced to do some testing on this during next few
weeks. I'll keep you posted on the results.

--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* Life ain't fair, but the root password helps.