Date:      Sat, 29 Jan 2000 11:52:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Phil Regnauld <regnauld@ftf.net>
Cc:        Bjoern Groenvall <bg@sics.se>, "F. Heinrichmeyer" <fritz.heinrichmeyer@fernuni-hagen.de>, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ASDM and linux emulation?

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Phil Regnauld wrote:

> 	[-current removed]

> 	I've only succeeded in running the SCO v2 client so far.
> 	(on a 3.3-R machine).
>
> 	I haven't tried the v3 SVR4 binaries yet.
>
> 	Linux always gave me problems (invalid domain).

Linux is sticky since the file operation syscalls use a 'virtual root'
under /compat/linux.  If the backup works, you'll end up backing up
/compat/linux and not / as you might expect.

I hacked the linux kernel module to not apply this path change.  It works
fine otherwise.  Unfortunately this is a pain, esp. on 3.X since I can't
register a sysctl to tweak it (I can on 4.X), so anytime I want to use a
real Linux app (like acroread) I have to swap modules.  Note that binaries
run without the pathmunging must be statically linked since they'll never
find their libraries.

The SCO emulation doesn't path munge.  I must have tried the wrong client
because I did try the SCO v3 client without success.  I'll try the v2
client and see if that works.

dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org