Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 2002 12:29:01 +0200
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Giorgos Keramidas" <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Windows as opposed to Other OS's

Giorgos writes:

> They are switching.  Only, not in a single day.

Not even in a single decade, it seems.  There is no mass exodus from Windows
on the desktop.

> They are not asking for help that is related to
> the way things are done.  They are hitting the
> limitations of the system and complaining :-)

About 95% of support calls arise from not understanding the product, not
from any actual problem with the software.  Technical support people
typically spend a lot more time teaching than fixing.

> I am talking about "usage instructions and an
> understanding of the capabilities and fitness of
> the tool for any given purpose" more than
> an understanding of the inner workings of the
> tool.

Even that should not be necessary.  Unfortunately, with all existing
operating systems, it is; but Windows has the second-least stringest
requirements in this domain (I'd put the Mac in first place, although the
difference is small).

> I am sure you are aware of the horrendous
> limitations of the telnet client that is shipped
> with Windows versions--all of them.  The total
> lack of an SSH client in all Windows versions,
> is also indicative of the way Microsoft wants
> you to work.

It has nothing to do with the way Microsoft wants you to work, and a great
deal to do with the fact that 99.99% of all Windows users will never, ever
have a need for a telnet or SSH client.

> I have to admit that there are efforts aimed
> at providing IPsec functionality in the Telnet
> clients of modern Windows versions, but even that
> is not 100% compatible with IPv6 and IPsec standards.

Who cares?  People are running Word, Outlook Express, and games on their
Windows machines ... not telnet clients.

> This sort of limitation is what I am talking about.

And you are only proving my point by mentioning it.  Only a computer geek
would care about any of this.

> The sort that requires a person who does support
> for Windows to constantly reply with "dig deeper
> in your pockets, and buy FooTerm software to do your
> daily work".

I supported Windows for years.  I never once got any question about telnet
... never once.

> This won't happen.

Yes it will.  It's just a matter of time.