Date:      05 Aug 2002 09:27:07 -0400
From:      Mark Evenson <evenson@panix.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   [comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc] Problems building certain ports

--=-=-=

From: Mark Evenson <evenson@panix.com>
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Problems building certain ports
Date: 05 Aug 2002 09:21:39 -0400
Sender: evenson@panix3.panix.com

I have been having a problem building ports depending on the "in place"
features of sed:

     quid:/usr/ports/lang/guile$ make
     ===>  Extracting for guile-1.4.1_2
     >> Checksum OK for guile-1.4.1.tar.gz.
     ===>   guile-1.4.1_2 depends on executable: libtool - found
     ===>   guile-1.4.1_2 depends on shared library: ltdl.1 - found
     ===>  Patching for guile-1.4.1_2
     ===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for guile-1.4.1_2
     sed: stdout: Bad file descriptor
     *** Error code 1

     Stop in /usr/ports/lang/guile.

I have read what I could find about others having a similar problem, but it
seems that I am experiencing something different.  My system is a freshly
built STABLE-20020722, and my ports tree is also current, which should get
me around the problems I have been able to find by searching the FreeBSD mailing
list archives about not having the version of sed installed that takes the
"-i" argument.

The one thing I did notice was that if I run the same command as root, it
succeeds, which lead me to suspect that I was running into some sort of
"limits" like restriction.  No amount of fooling with "limits", "ulimits",
and the 'login.conf' database seems to allow me to get the port to compile
as a regular user, so I have more or less given up on this line of thinking
(unless root can *always* use as much resources as it needs regardless of
the various settings of limits).  Also for the guile port, only some 105
files are passed to the "xargs sed ..." part of the command, which if
invoked "manually" (i.e. by cutting and pasting the arguments to sed rather
than using xargs) succeeds, so it seems more like there is some bad
interaction between 'xargs' and 'sed' here.

Can anyone shed some light on this problem?

Thanks,
Mark

--=-=-=

--
Mark Evenson <evenson@panix.com>

"A screaming comes across the sky.  It has happened before, but there is
nothing to compare to it now."

--=-=-=--