Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 00:26:49 +0900
From:      Makoto Matsushita <matusita@jp.FreeBSD.org>
To:        des@ofug.org
Cc:        will@csociety.org, obrien@FreeBSD.org, matusita@jp.FreeBSD.org, arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Installing XFree86 package via sysinstall: need X wrapper or not?

des> Yes, there is: it's a setuid binary.  It shouldn't be installed
des> unless it's needed.

The X wrapper should be installed for startx users, and we can't
deduce who want to use it.

Let me clarify the point again:

Background:
	1) In XFree86 3.x, the non-root users of startx(1) kick X
	   server without any setups, since X server is a setuid binary.
	2) In XFree86 4.x, the non-root users of startx(1) cannot kick
	   X server, since X server is no longer setuid binary.

	   Note that most of users doesn't know X server has setuid
	   bit or not.

Current situations:
	3) The startx users think that XFree86 4.2 is broken, X server
	   can't start.  FreeBSD bundles XFree86 4.2.  As a result,
	   they says "Latest FreeBSD's X server is broken."

How to solve:
	4a) Write documents, to explain that "startx users should
	    install X wrapper separately, since sysinstall doesn't
	    automatically install the wrapper."
	4b) Install X wrapper after XFree86 installation is finished.
	4c) Add X wrapper itself into XFree86 meta-port.
	4d) Do nothing.

Current situation is 4d), I propose 4b) in the last email, and some
others suggests 4c).

How do you think about this, des?  I don't want to talk about xdm/pam
breakage or something like that; I want to talk about (backward
compatibility?) issues for startx users.

-- -
Makoto `MAR' Matsushita